What a week with Mar! She is going through a difficult stage to say the least. Her independence is really coming through-- so much so that we are having tantrums and fits like never before. Her little patience is running so thin and the smallest things just ruin her little world.
So, in turn, Ned and I have had to dial up our patience and learn to parent on a different level. (OK, so we are still learning. ALL THE TIME.) There have been moments his week, mid-tantrum, that I have literally thought about just walking out the front door. Any parents been there before? Can I get an Amen?
Then, in the next second, she is my sweet, hilarious Mar again laying her head on my shoulder and snuggling to watch Strawberry Shortcake. I keep trying to remember that she is in fact only 2 1/2 and this too shall pass and all that, but when you are stuck inside in the cold, you almost lose your mind!
So, then this morning my Bible devotion lead me to Isaiah 12: 1-2 and it speaks of God's anger:
"I will praise you, O Lord.
Although you were angry with me
your anger has turned away
and you have comforted me.
Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust and not be afraid.
The Lord, the Lord is my strength and
my song;
He had become my salvation."
So then it hit me. We anger our Heavenly Father all the time-- our sins make him pretty unhappy. Just like our kids will anger us and sadden us. But, here is the kicker-- He forgives us and comforts us, just like we should do for our children. Yes, Mar has made me cry this week with her behavior, but later that same day when she bumped her head on the counter because she was wearing her Sleeping Beauty heels, did I turn away when she ran to me for comfort? No way! I picked her up, loved her and wiped her tears.
I have realized that God wants us to hold the line with our kids-- we have to, or we cannot survive. But, we also have to get over it, get past it and love them like crazy at the same time.
I was so down yesterday morning about Mar's turn into toddler tantrum town, that I called my mama to vent. I apologized if I had ever made her cry or want to run for the hills in my youth. It is so funny how becoming a parent gives you this crazy thing called "perspective." Of course, my sweet little mama said that I was an angel. Still am, right?
So, we had a great night of uninterrupted, no fits sleep. Yea! Praying for a peaceful day with my little nugget and some warmer temps so we can head out of this house!!
Have a great Thursday!
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Two is hard...and three is even harder. But you'll survive. We are almost to age four, and it gets a little easier. Hang in there!
ReplyDeletehaha,you were an angel huh?? I feel your pain Morgs:) Sounds like you guys are figuring it out! Love you!!!
ReplyDelete