1

1

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tears on aisle 9...

Mar and I made our weekly "big" grocery shopping trip today.  It takes a little longer, so we usually have snacks and a drink handy for her.  She was doing pretty well, but getting a little cranky and tired by the time we had reached the halfway mark.  Out came the animal crackers.  Now, everyone that knows Marleigh knows that she has a major thing about cows right now.  She loves anything bovine.  She loves her moo-moos.  She bathes with a cow figurine, she points to them on the highway, she watches the stinkin' livestock auction on the RFD channel for goodness sake. 

So, we are calmly finishing our shopping, when Mar hands me a "moo-moo cracker."  She is pretending that all the animals are cows in her little bag of crackers.  Well, here is where it all goes terribly wrong.  I mistake her outstretched, crumb-covered hand as a snack offering and in one bite devour her precious moo-moo.  Bad move, mother of the year.  At this point, large pools of tears well up in her blue eyes, her bottom lip turns inside out and the look of sheer heartbreak on her face would be enough to turn Cruella DeVille to mush.  She can barely mutter "moo-moo!" in between her sobs. It then occurs to me, "Hey genius, she was just showing you the cracker..."  I immediately scoop her out of her seat in the cart and proceed to give her a 10 minute hug in aisle 9 at HEB. 

What sincere emotions... I only hope that she can preserve this tenderheartedness for as long possible.  I hope she can keep that kind of sensitivity long after little girls whisper mean things on the playground, or she suffers her first minor heartbreak at the hands of some young boy.  That kind of sweetness is what makes childhood so innocent and wonderful. 

In other news, we had a great, healthy week.  (All the Dunbars have had a bout with the allergy and sinus crud.)
We went to San Antonio last night to a party for our friend, Jerod, who just graduated from the SA Police Academy.  My dear friend, Shelly (his wife) hosted a lovely party and we had a great time.  I think Mar really thought the party was for her.  We did not tell her the truth...

Tomorrow is Mother's Day.  I have asked to forgoe the dinner or lunch out and we are grilling steaks here at the house. I would rather be comfortable and relaxed at home with my dear family.  We tracked down a copycat recipe for our favorite salad at Outback and I am super excited about trying that. 

We just finished week one of trying out panties with Marleigh.  She loves the idea of the panties (because she loves wearing anything pretty or new or like mama) but I am not sure she understands the idea of telling me BEFORE she pees or poops in them.  Oh well.  We are wearing them for about two hours a day around the house.  Thank goodness for hardwood floors...
Marleigh rocking her panties...and a hat, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment