1

1

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ready, set, school!

Our homeschool nook is ready and the curriculum is here. We can start school!

Our official start date is the 3rd, right after Labor Day. I am almost too excited to wait and I can tell Marleigh is, too!  

In case you are nosy, I am sneaking in pics of our nook. (I always love seeing how other moms "do" stuff, especially home educating!)  So, here goes...


The nook.  This is right off our kitchen.  I can totally see our dining room becoming the school room if I don't fill it soon with a dining table!

    Map and artwork purchased at Mardel...

 
    ALL of their curriculum, workbooks, activities...
 
These are Tate's busy boxes--thanks for all the great ideas, fellow mamas!

I am so stinkin' pumped to start this journey with the kids.  I really feel 100% called to this decision and although I am a little nervous and I know the days won't all be easy, I am ready.

A lot people ask me or Ned, "Why are you homeschooling?"  I would say about 95% of these folks are truly just curious. It is something they have never considered and really are interested in the why's and how's and all of that.  (The other five percent, well, who cares!)

I answer them as simply and clearly as a feel it in my heart-- God has placed a peace and calling in my heart for home educating my kids.  This in no way devalues another family's choice to use the public school system.  Since Marleigh was born, I had a feeling, no matter where we lived, no matter how stellar the school system or how many great teachers there were, that we would end up here. 

Let's be honest, there are a million and one ways to do this thing called parenting.  And it is hard.  Brutally hard, and wonderful and glorious.  But hard.  We each, as parents, make decisions every day that affect our kids.  What they eat.  What they watch.  Who they play with.  What clothes they wear.  I could go on and on.  And education is one of those great choices.  And, thank God, Americans still have a CHOICE.  I would never, ever question a parent's choice to put their children in public school.  I have many dear friends who are excellent, dedicated parents that have made that decision.  And their kids will be just fine.

I guess what I am getting at is this-- let's give each other a break and the benefit of the doubt. And when we make mistakes, let's pick each other up and learn together.
Let's learn from each of our choices and do what feels good for your family regardless of societal pressure.   Let's support one another and while you may think I am a crazy as a loon, trust me, God's got this! 

So, to answer some of the questions:

No, I am not worried about socialization.  (Have you talked to Marleigh?!)

No, I do not think they will grow up to be weird.  Well, no weirder than Ned and I.  Uh oh.  

Yes, I think I am smart enough, but thank the Lord for good curriculum.

I have a lot to learn, both as an educator to my kids and as a parent to them. And by the grace God, the kids and I will learn a lot together.  










 

No comments:

Post a Comment